Today, almost every third individual in India is hit by soaring levels of blood sugar. According to a survey, about 60 million people in the country are suffering from the complications of higher than normal blood sugar levels, and this estimate is expected to rise up to 80 million in another 5-10 years. In India, lack of awareness among people is the biggest reason behind the rapid growth of this heinous disorder. In most cases, people get to know about its occupancy only after it attains a certain stage.
Why is it necessary to manage high blood sugar?
Increased blood sugar level is a serious complication that is engulfing people swiftly. It is a health condition wherein the blood glucose levels are higher than normal. This situation can be injurious as the blood cells are not able to use the glucose content adequately. Continuously increasing glucose levels cause damage to body parts suffixes. Also known as ‘silent killer’, high blood sugar slowly and quietly damages by continuously interrupting many important bodily procedures.
What are the reasons?
Uncontrolled dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle practices are the major reasons behind a spike in blood sugar levels. Wrong eating and lifestyle habits such as overeating sweets, consumption of fried & junk food, obesity, stress, smoking, alcohol, etc. are the main primary ones. In some cases, congenital reasons may increase blood sugar levels.
Recognizing the symptoms!
In the initial stages, it can be cumbersome to identify the symptoms, but as the condition deteriorates, the symptoms – excessive hunger and thirst, frequent toilet visits, fatigue, late healing of body wounds, recurring skin infection etc. depict elevated blood sugar levels.
Tips to manage high blood sugar
If you are diagnosed with high blood sugar, then there is no need to panic! By paying attention to your daily routine and getting natural medicines you can prevent it from deteriorating. You have to keep a check on your sugar level every month and consult a good dietitian. Along with it, adopt the following measures to manage the condition and prevent it from worsening –
- Avoid consuming sugar and sweet things.
- Eat green vegetables as much as possible.
- Avoid fried and junk food.
- Instead of stuffing food at one time, eat in small intervals.
- A mixture of wheat, barley and gram flour can prove to be beneficial.
- Make a habit of walking in the morning and evening – A walk of just half an hour helps to keep your sugar level in control. Say no to laziness and try to walk for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Yoga is helpful – If yoga and exercise are included in your lifestyle right from the beginning, then the risk of high blood sugar will not wander around you either. Including yoga in your daily routine helps in controlling your sugar level significantly. Just remember to take an expert’s guidance before starting with the Yoga asana.
- Avoid stress – One of the main causes of increased sugar level is stress. That’s why avoiding stress should be the priority. Share your problem with others; take help of Yogic science to keep your mind calm.
- Adopt home remedies – Some home remedies are also helpful in keeping the sugar level under control. Including 100 to 125 ml bitter gourd juice, 15 to 20 grams fenugreek powder, juice of Jamun, Giloy, etc. are effective in bringing the blood sugar level in control.
(Note: All the information mentioned above is generic. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before making any changes in your diet)
5 Myths and Facts Related to High Blood Sugar Level
People generally attribute the habit of eating sweets directly as high blood sugar level. But this is not completely true. If you too believe a similar myth, then this section will surely help you.
People often come under tension after hearing the name of blood sugar, because they have already considered it to be one of the stubborn everlasting complications. Along with it, the increase in sugar in the body has a bad effect on other organs (eyes, kidney, heart). There are some specific causes of high blood sugar level but they cannot be considered to be the main cause of the chaos. In this case, let us know the myth and facts related to an increment in blood sugar level –
If you also believe that sugar is only available to grown people, then you are wrong because in nowadays, children are also facing this condition. In fact, when high blood sugar occurs in childhood, many natural bodily procedures are hampered.
It is generally believed sugar patients should not exercise, but no, it’s not at all like that. Being indulged in a regular physical activity helps body produce essential hormones appropriately. In this case, apart from walking, you can exercise moderately.
Sugar patients are often prevented from eating sweets or they are advised to eat sugar-free food items to avoid the ill-effects. But this is not true; in fact, the ability of sugar patients to absorb glucose in the body becomes very slow compared to others. In such a situation, consuming a limited amount of sweets along with a balanced diet and exercise will be beneficial.
High blood sugar level is commonly associated with obesity. While this is not completely true, because type-1 sugar can occur due to congenital reasons and deficiency of glucose metabolizing hormones in the body’s pancreas. On the other hand, type-2 sugar is caused by the body’s inability to utilize glucose metabolizing hormones adequately. But for this your immune system needs to be strong. Apart from this, wrong eating habits and body fat deposits are also responsible.
Ayurvedic approach of managing high blood sugar
Ayurveda is an ancient science of treating and managing any health related disorder. This remedial science is based on the belief that nature has a remedy for every disease. IME-9 is one such high blood sugar management medicine that is made with botanical extracts under expert’s supervision.